I rode with Kansas City police officer Ben Dougherty Saturday night in the North Patrol Division. It was a slow shift, but I'll report what happened in several posts today.
Random person protecting you on Kansas City streets:
- Benjamin F. Dougherty III
- Rides North Patrol, beat 421, third shift.
- Oldest of six, father of six.
- Worked in a grocery store and drove a bread truck for 15 years before becoming a cop six years ago at 36.
- Likes his job but misses Central Patrol Division, where he started.
- Doesn't drink, except for a glass of red wine (supposed to help prevent heart attacks).
- Has a rank-and-file view of his job, i.e., doesn't always understand the brilliance of management decisions and policies.
- Thinks chase rules are too tight, though he understands the risks.
- Pulled over a young driver once who sped away, then crashed and was killed. Doesn't recall the date or name. He does say his in-car video "saved my butt" in the police inquiry, showing he followed procedure.