Email from a reader upset that TV had this all day yesterday, and not a peep from this blog or The Star. From Kansas City police:
- Officers were dispatched at 2:30 a.m. Monday to a tavern disturbance to The Point, 44th and Belleview. Upon arrival a large disturbance was seen taking place across the street from the tavern.
- A victim was observed lying on the ground with a large wound to the head. Witnesses stated that the disturbance started inside the bar and moved outside where the victim was struck in the head with a beer bottle.
- Two suspects were taken into custody.
- The victim was transported to a local hospital in stable condition. At the hospital, medical personnel discovered a knife wound to the victim's right rib-cage area.
- Four other persons suffered cuts, lacerations and abrasions.
From the emailer, who said, "I saw the whole thing. It's a shame only two people were arrested. Just a brutal fight, easily the worst I've seen." :
- "There were about 30-35 people involved, and was very violent, it ended with Police dispersing the crowd with shotguns, and an ambulance taking at least one victim to the hospital who was in very bad shape. The bouncers were totally overwhelmed and I felt sorry for them b/c they were beat up pretty bad themselves."
- "The police account that it happened across the street from the bar is very inaccurate. It ended there, but most of the fight occurred in the patio area right outside the front door of The Point, on their property."
Another disturbance occurred , apparently, at Mac's South Jazz and Blues club, 11816 Blue Ridge Boulevard. KCTV-5 said 10 arrests were made; police told me officers arrived in the aftermath of a dispute between proprietors and customers.