Comment in the open thread this morning:
- There have been 3 fires happen so far this year on NE Churchill St, in Lee's Summit. The most recent one happened this past week end. I didn't know if you had heard anything about this or if they were connected all I know is they were all w/in a quarter block of each other. And all 4-plex's.
- Posted by: ash | Monday, November 06, 2006 at 11:33 AM
Yes, ash, residents there need to put safety first -- no fewer than three fires in the past year or so, all ruled accidental, assistant Fire Chief Keith Martin told me.
The most recent blaze, which caused $30,000 damage to a $500,000 structure, started when someone put still-hot ashes from a fireplace in a bag and left it in a garage, Martin said.
The first fire, which Martin said he thought happened last year, was caused by sparks rising up from a fireplace and landing on the roof, he said. That building was a total loss, he said. He said he couldn't remember the specific accidental cause of the third fire.
No one was hurt in any of the fires.