Possibly getting out ahead of the curve, the FBI has put out a preemptive warning about scammers playing off Tropical Storm -- nee Hurricane -- Gustav. Seems Katrina was a popular topic for phony fund-raisers, according to the bureau.
Some tips from the FBI's release:
- Do not respond to unsolicited (spam) e-mail.
- Be skeptical of individuals representing themselves as officials soliciting via e-mail for donations.
- Do not click on links contained within an unsolicited e-mail.
- Be cautious of e-mail claiming to contain pictures in attached files, as the files may contain viruses. Only open attachments from known senders.
- To ensure contributions are received and used for intended purposes, make contributions directly to recognized organizations rather than relying on others to make the donation on your behalf.
Seems a little early, but with the speed and efficiency of some scam spammers these days, Gustav-related cons may already be hitting inboxes.
Posted by John Shultz