The article on highway congestion after accidents (3/2, A-1, “KC needs quicker relief; State, local officials devising new, faster remedies to restore healthy traffic flow”) was excellent and mentioned several solutions. But it left out one of the best possible ones, namely prevention.
I realize that was not the purpose of the article, but to leave it out places the onus of responsibility on the wrong folks.
Here are some simple examples.
- Better speed limit enforcement.
- Better enforcement of aggressive driving and driving to close laws.
- More traffic checks for drunken drivers and those without a license.
- Breathalyzer units in cars of anyone convicted of driving under the influence.
- Requiring bars to alert law enforcement of customers leaving who may have had too much to drink.
G. David Dixon, MD